Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Should I pull out the calculator?


Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading your posts, seeing all the great fiber choices, and trying to figure out sizing issues so I can start my own. Using Classic Elite Premiere (the "dried cherry" color; it's less pink than the picture, more of a raspberry) and size 6 needles, I'm getting 20-21 stitches and 30 rows to 4 inches. My problem is, the 33.5" size is too small, and the 37.5" size is too big. With the gauge I'm getting, using the 33.5" directions would give me the right measurements... but that's not taking into account the stretch factor. So the question is:


Have you planned for any ease (negative or positive) when choosing a size? How much stretch did you plan for your tank? The Premiere is 50/50 cotton and tencel, and does seem to stretch just like a 100% cotton yarn would. I could either knit the smaller size and hope the larger gauge + stretch factor will take care of the size problem, or go down a needle size and knit the larger size. What do you think?

- Jenny

2 comments:

NikkiJ said...

I think this depends on how you like to wear your clothing. If you have a slimmer figure you might do ok with the smaller size. Check out this one...
http://summertimetunickal.blogspot.com/2007/06/im-finished.html

I, on the other hand always make the larger size (I have bigger boobs and a bit of a tummy). I think that would be safe too because you can adjust how is fits around the bust by pulling the ribbon tighter and get a fit more loose like Cozy's...

http://cozysplace.blogspot.com/2007/06/and-then-there-were-4.html

In any case, there's enough give in the fabric for it to look good either way. Good luck!

Nikki said...

Knit the smaller size. Knits stretch. Cotton stretches. Cotton knits stretch. I'd bet good money you can get away with several inches of negative ease on this, but looking at the pattern it would probably only be negative at the bust and the rest would still have plenty of breathing room. Knit the smaller size.